02 June 2009

The Walkers in Washington, DC!!

Saturday May 30

We arrive!

After checking in to our hotel, we headed to..


The National Archives

(one of our goals on this trip was to take the girls to places they knew..

so here is our nod to National Treasure)



...in front of the Constitution..



..in the Rotunda..

from left to right behind the girls -

The Declaration of Independence, the Constitution,
and the Bill of Rights


..outside the National Archives..


____________________________________________________________________

Sunday May 31


..waiting for the Metro..

(Adeline has become quite the pro, she has memorized the stops near ours, Crystal City, and knows where we are all the time)

Air & Space Museum
..looking at the Apollo 11 Command Module - the 1st one to go to the Moon!..



..um.. In front of some airplanes..

(there are lots..)

The Museum of Natural History

..overlooking the large room in Dinosaurs & Fossils..


..girlies inside the jaw of a Great White Shark!..


..the little girls got cameras before this trip, and they photograph pretty much EVERYTHING!..

(thank heaven for digital cameras!!)



Outside the Museum of Natural History

Between the size of the museums and the huge trees,
we can't usually get a great picture of the outsides of the museums!!

They are amazing!!

The Museum of American History


My favorite part BY FAR in this one was the actual
Star Spangled Banner,

unfortunately, you can't photograph it..

I had no idea it was so huge!!

..borrowing a Presidential Podium..

The Washington Monument

(for some reason, the first 2 pictures wouldn't flip)



Davy got all creative on me!!
^^Love how these turned out!!^^

Standing at the Washington Monument, with the Captiol Building in the background...


..all of the sudden, the wind got really strong!!..

World War II Memorial



..below UTAH..

Korean War Memorial

The long trek!!
(to the Lincoln Memorial)
The Lincoln Memorial

We're on the right..
This has been our only crowd so far..

____________________________________________________________________
Monday June 1

The Capitol Building

The Library of Congress


What an amazing building!!
So ornate and.. beautiful!!

Now, my best story (up to this point..)
We had gone up to look into the famous Reading Room (can't take pictures)..
As we were coming down the stairs afterwards, I completely fell down the last 2 stairs, right onto my hands and knees.. I'm not even sure how I fell - just all of the sudden - there I was on the ground!! I have 2 very skinned up knees!! I was quite embarrassed, but Davy was pretty sure no one happened to be around to see my supreme act of grace!
Quite a fall!!
Ford's Theater

..the balcony where Lincoln was shot..

This is where we split up!!
Chelsea & I went to
The United States Holocaust Museum
..hard to describe..
..as Chelsea put it so well - not like you can say "I loved it!"..
..really an amazing thing to see..
(and very glad we did the split)

While
Davy, Savannah & Adeline went to..
..have ice cream in the Natural History Museum..
..and then to..

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing
..the girls standing next to $1,000,000!!!!...
..and outside..

..and then the ever anticipated -
HOTEL POOL!!!..

..just wish they had fun (haha)..
_______________________________________________________________________
Tuesday, June 2
This is what our kids look like at noon when you wake them at 5:00am (3am) DC time..
We had a White House tour at 7:30!!

We had breakfast afterwards, and then came home for a nap!!


We have no pictures of the White House, because you can't bring anything in with you, including:

purses, backpacks, any recording device, knives etc..
some of our favorite things on the list with the above were:
knitting needles, martial arts weapons or fireworks..
(what do they think we're just going to carry these in with our bare hands?)
Here's a couple "small world" moments:
1. At the airport AND in line at the White House, we ran into a boy Chelsea just graduated with.
2. Also in line at the White House, we got to chatting with a family in front of us.. We talked for about a half an hour before we learned they are from Alpine, THEN that her nephew is one of Davy's direct reports at work, and happen to be good friends of ours that we do things with quite frequently!! (its a small, small world!)
*yes.. lots of pictures.. little talking!!*

3 comments:

chelseakate said...

mother. i DESPISE the picture you put of me sleeping. you are mean to me. you must hate me. ick. really, ew. AND the pictures you put of me on our first day here..the one where i've got my glasses on & whatever..i look like a nerd! yucky. mommy, mommy, mommy.
as for the rest of the pics..cute! :) :)

Bryan and Elissa Johnson said...

So jealous. My kids love, love, love the metro. But no eating or drinking on the metro unless you want people to look and stare at you!:) Your fall sounds like something I would do. Are you sure I wasn't around there during the fall?My little kids love the childrens story of the Holocust. Very well done for thier ages and apporitate. Very true, can't say you lovethat place- just WOW! or a overwhelming feeling of life and what we have. That place has a sacred feeling. Have fun. Man I wrote a novel. Can you tell- love that place.:)

Crazy Mommy said...

I am SO living vicariously through you right now. You are on my dream trip. It sounds like you are having a wonderful time and how great that you get to take that trip with your girls. Now, when you get to New York, remember, CASH CAB. Ben Bailey. And I'm your mobile shout out. If you and Dave don't know that answer between the two of you I have no shot, I just want to say hi to Ben. Try to catch that cab. :)