02 October 2009

A Great Quote..

This is a bit of a different post for me..

In my ward, I am serving in Nursery right now, so I don't get to be in Gospel Doctrine.. I have always been more of a Gospel Doctrine girl than a Relief Society girl.. Just my personal preference.. Add on top of that that we have 2 of the BEST Gospel Doctrine teachers in the church.. No lie.. NOW add on top of that that our RS secretary emails a synopsis of RS every week (including Good News - my favorite part)..

This gets me to my post - I guess many people had asked one of the Gospel Doctrine teachers about a quote she used in a recent lesson..

Wasn't even there for the lesson.. But this just touched me, and I thought it was appropriate, given that Conference starts tomorrow.. Or as my girls call it.. "Church in Jammies"..

Enjoy!

As surely as the rescue of those in need was the General Conference theme of October 1856, so too is it the theme of this conference and last conference and the one to come next spring. It may not be blizzards and frozen-earth burials that we face this conference, but the needy are still out there — the poor and the weary, the discouraged and downhearted, those “[falling] away into [the] forbidden paths” we mentioned earlier, and multitudes who are “kept from the truth because they know not where to find it.” They are all out there with feeble knees, hands that hang down,and bad weather setting in. They can be rescued only by those who have more and know more and can help more. And don’t worry about asking, “Where are they?” They are everywhere, on our right hand and on our left, in our neighborhoods and in the workplace, in every community and county and nation of this world. Take your team and wagon; load it with your love, your testimony, and a spiritual sack of flour; then drive in any direction. The Lord will lead you to those in need if you will but embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ that has been taught in this conference. Open your heart and your hand to those trapped in the twenty-first century’s equivalent of Martin’s Cove and Devil’s Gate. In doing so we honor the Master’s repeated plea on behalf of lost sheep and lost coins and lost souls (Jeffrey R. Holland, “Prophets in the Land Again,” Ensign, Nov 2006).

3 comments:

Silvey Mothership said...

Profound. Inspirational and thanks for sharing. As you know, I would be a gospel doctrine girl vs Relief Society too.

Julie M said...

Great reminder...thanks for posting!

marcikay said...

What a beautiful quote! I'm going to try to make a copy of it. We were really touched by it - thank you so much for sharing!

It was so neat to see the Build-a-Bear pictures and relive such a neat experience! I can't tell you how much I love those girls and how fun it is to go shopping with them. I love it when we can all enjoy each other at those times!

I enjoy the blogs and Facebook also - what a neat way to keep updated on everyone even though we don't live next door to each other!

Love you,
Rosemary