08 September 2009

Our Quick Dallas Adventure..

We lucked out a few months ago and Davy was GIVEN 4 tickets to the Inaugural Game at Cowboy's Stadium, featuring our very own BYU Cougars against the Oklahoma Sooners..

We invited Davy's sister, Julie, and her hubby Brian..

We arrived Friday night {I won't get into that nightmare.. let's just put it simply.. Our plane reservations were lost.. we were really wishing we had given Brian & Julie their tickets before the trip.. we were seriously thinking we were going to have to drive..}..

We went to dinner at Pappcito's Cantina (recommended by our friend, Curt)

I have to say there was something about the area our restaraunt was in.. the neighboring eateries were: Pappadeux Seafood and Pappas Bros Steakhouse.. It was like the Pappa district!!

at dinner

The next morning we visited the 6th Floor Museum..
Also known as the Texas School Book Depository..

It was a really interesting audio tour.. I highly recommend it.. {of course, we couldn't take pictures inside.. what is it with not being able to take pictures in museums anymore??}

Davy in front of the Texas School Book Depository
{notice the 6th floor corner window is open..}

Marcikay across from the Grassy Knoll..
If you look to the left in the road, there is an "x" to mark the 2nd shot..
hmmm.. there should also be one on the right, to mark the 1st..
just imagine it..
Brian & Davy.. Grassy Knoll..
Julie & Marcikay..
TSBD..

We ate lunch at Texas Land & Cattle.. Just the place for Brian & I, the proud carnivores of our group.. I was disappointed there was no "all you can eat meat" bucket for Brian.. {he has ordered just such a meal before.. and it came in a metal bucket..}

From here we left for the game..

Very close by..

We left at 2:30..

We parked at 2:50..

The game started at 5:00..

You do the math..

Julie & Davy outside Cowboy's Stadium..


Mk & Davy..
a little closer..

Our tickets..

Standing at our 8th row seats!!
We had no idea they were really good seats!!!
Showing part of the humongous screen..
(20-yard line to 20-yard line..)

All 4 of us!!
..lining up just before the 2nd touchdown..
.. the CATCH!!..
..the final score!!!!..
Seriously, probably the most fun I've ever had at a football game!! {thanks, Julie!!}

{and thanks, AGAIN to Julie for letting me post some of her pictures.. I don't know why they all turned out tiny.. but I'm letting it go, rather than have a computer freakout.. I'm calm..}

I wish I had a certain picture of the BYU cheerleaders.. let's just say - stepping on faces..

I am wishing I would have taken pictures of the level of OU spirit I saw..

It was said best by Julie.. "to be an Oklahoma fan, a t-shirt isn't enough"

I saw shirts, hats, dresses, purses, shoes, cel phones, necklaces, entire cars, tablecloths, earrings, beer wraps.. the list does not end..

Amazing.. that's all I can say..

I read an article in a Dallas newspaper the next morning that called Cowboy's Stadium the 3rd largest city in Oklahoma for 3 1/2 hours.. I believe that.. just imagine a sea of red..

I still don't know what a "Sooner" is..

Some ideas I got at the game were..
*a horse
*a covered wagon
*very drunk people with crazy drawls
*girls with large OU t-shirts made into skimpy dresses (with added lace!) {I so wish I would have got a picture of one of these..

To add to my confusion, there is also the frequent mention of "Boomer Sooner"..

I don't know what that is either..

4 comments:

Julie M said...

That was SO MUCH FUN!!! See Marci...you ARE a good cheerer!!!! Thanks again for sharing your tickets with us!!! You guys are the bomb!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a fun trip. FYI: Many years ago Oklahoma was Indian Territory, it was decided that on a certain day the land would be made available for "white man settlements." Everybody was suppose to wait until that day to go and stake their claim. Some people snuck over early to get the best land. Hence, they got there SOONER. Are you impressed with my historical knowledge?

Silvey Mothership said...

You lucky dogs!! What a stroke of luck and a fantastic win too. Did you see Ray Newbury? He was there. Coming from the midwest- sooner is indeed a covered wagon. Quite a daunting mascot, eh? I guess the other entry could be true as well. Can't believe you got to go AND have great seats. Go Cougars!!

Elder Jack Anderson said...

Oh, NOW I see why you never met up with us... you were EIGHTH ROW SNOBS!!! Whatever!

We headed to the grassy knoll ourselves...my question is... who went out into traffic to put that X there. Was it state funded? Or did some whacko run out and spray paint it? That whole place gave me the creeps. Srsly.