18 February 2010

Just One of Those Times You Realize You're NOT Fancy..

As you know, we all just celebrated Valentine's Day..

Davy told me he'd ordered me something..

He kept saying things like, "It's not anything big", and "I'm waiting for your Valentine's present to come - it's nothing major so don't get stressed"

Valentine's really varies around our house..

I grew up with it being my mom's birthday, so that was really the main focus of February 14th..

Sometimes we give gifts, sometimes we don't..

We usually go to dinner {wait..we always go out to dinner}

This year my big gift to Davy was a new pillow so I was a little curious when I kept hearing about this gift he'd ordered..

I left for Boise {a whole different story} on the morning of the 12th, and of course thats the day the package arrived..

This is what I got..
There is a story to this..

There's a guy, John, who works with Davy, who at another job had to find some of the best chocolates in the world..

This is a guy who's lived all over the world {South Africa, Switzerland, Boise, to name a few}

He's also definitely a "foodie"..

He told Davy these were the cat's pajamas..

Let's look inside!
Ooooo!!! Pretty!!!
Each of these chocolates has a fancy name, also..

Here they are, from left to right {also their descriptions}:

Kermit and Miss Piggy - prickly pear and ginger: a prickly pear pate de fruit with ginger on top of a milk chocolate and pear ganache, enrobed in milk chocolate.

Aladdin - milk chocolate: milk chocolate ganache with vanilla beans, enrobed in milk chocolate.

Pochohontas - spearmint tea: dark chocolate ganache steeped with spearmint tea, enrobed in dark chocolate.

John Smith - praline mix: a blend of homemade hazelnut, pecan and cashew pralines, enrobed in dark chocolate.

Rudolph and Judith - smore love: a graham cracker ganache with caramel flakes, and a marshmallow top, enrobed in dark chocolate.

Paolo de Verrucchio - blood orange: a blood orange pate de fruit on top a milk chocolate ganache spiked with a splash of Cointreau, enrobed in dark chocolate.

Virginia Bruce - passionate heart: a heart shaped bonbon filled with passionfruit ganache, molded in white chocolate.

Francesca da Rimini - strawberry basil: a strawberry and basil pate de fruit on top of a milk chocolate ganache enrobed in milk chocolate.

Bugsy Siegel - cognac and orange zest: a dark chocolate ganache steeped with orange zest with a splash of cognac enrobed in dark chocolate.

Maru - 91% extra bitter: extra bitter ganache, enrobed in dark chocolate.

Dhola - guava rose: pink guava pate de fruit on top of a milk chocolate ganache with guava puree, enrobed in milk chocolate.

Sir John of Gwyndir - wasabi truffle: a white chocolate truffle filled with wasabi ganache, coated in white chocolate.

Hmm..

First you have to know one of my rules..

CHOCOLATE AND FRUIT DON'T GO TOGETHER

I know not everyone else believes this, but its my own personal rule..

Many of these chocolates break that rule..

I can tell you right now I'm going to like Aladdin, John Smith and Rudolph and Judith..

All the rest I'm afraid of..

Especially that last one.. {wasabi?}

{Just so you don't feel bad, Davy got them more because they were cute, recommended and different - so his feelings won't be hurt}

John was worried when Davy told him my favorite chocolate were See's nuts and chews..


{AND I just learned these are supposed to be eaten within two weeks of leaving their store}

{I guess I better hurry}

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Stick with See's or Kara's, maybe not that fancy but way good. =D (The smiley face is from Colin. I am not really a sideways smiley face person)

Silvey Mothership said...

Wow, very original and colorful. Tops to their cuteness! Did they actually taste as delicious as they are colorful? I'm with you- not fruit or mint to mar my chocolate.