13 September 2010

Music's In.. My Soul?

Music and Me

You know how everyone has a genre of music they love??

Ya.. Me? I don’t..

Now, I feel like I am a somewhat musical person. I am a decent singer. I am a pretty good pianist {mostly self-taught}. I played the viola for about 16 years.

I should have "musical tastes".

I should. But I don't.

I started realizing that I tend to just “like” {or not like} whatever the person I’m with likes. I am generally a pleaser, and so I don’t tend to “push” things {like my "music choices"} on people. In fact, if I’m in my car alone {it happens every once in a while!} I listen to.. well.. nothing.. Just me and my thoughts on a ride..

Growing up, I just listened to what my parents liked. Which was {mostly} John Denver and the Beach Boys. There were also lots of other parental era tunes, but for the most part, these two. Not that I’m complaining! I still really love them both, and they totally bring back lots of memories. But, I still consider them my "parents' music", and not my own.

I distinctly remember being in Junior High, over at my best friend Jeanette’s house. (She was an only child who had the whole upstairs to herself!) {Not that I had a huge family to deal with, but she seemed to live the “college girl” life as a 13-year old}) Anyway I remember her pulling out an REO Speedwagon record. I had no idea who they were! In fact, looking at the cover of the album, I was sure this was some kind of "hooligan" music.. She played their most recent popular song.. Didn’t ring a bell.. I had never heard it. I literally never listened to "Top 40" radio. This continued {kind of} through high school. I still didn’t really listen to the radio, but I was starting to make my own music choices. For some reason, I chose to like music that was a bit outdated. My senior year I was psycho about the Go-Go’s. They had hit their peak 2-3 years earlier, but I chose to “love” them late. I’m not even sure I liked them that much, I think it was of my way of being unique? I got a kick out of how much it bugged my friends that I insisted on listening to them in my car.

Now, I have many songs I like. I spend a lot of time in the car with my 19-year old daughter who loves to have music on. Always. But again, if I’m by myself, its quiet.

I guess if I had to pick a favorite genre, I’d say MUSICALS. It’s fruity, I know. But I love me a good musical. {except Carousel – hate it – ..but even then, it has a couple amazing songs} I don’t know why I love them so much.. Maybe there is a part of me that wishes I could experience a day that happens in the form of a Musical. It makes me giggle just thinking about it. {now that I think about it - maybe Musicals should be its own entry}

I guess a bonus to this quandary is I don't spend a lot of money on CD's.. well, for me anyway.. {so I guess that really doesn't count as a bonus} AND I guess I don't go to lots of expensive concerts, because my favorite never seems to come to town.

Now, I'm left feeling like that was a rant, because I honestly don't know how to end this post.

3 comments:

Bryan and Elissa Johnson said...

Well, I really was leaning towards that you would like musicals or Disney music. I must know you pretty well. :)

Silvey Mothership said...

Oh my, I love musicals too which has rubbed off on my children. They also love to have music on in the car at all times. Interesting the things they listen to as well. I'm with you- go for the quiet car mostly. Also- HATE Carousal too!

GERSON DE ARAUJO ALMEIDA said...

Que você tewnha um bom ano novo, um beijo