23 September 2010

My First Cross-Reference!

Scripture Reading and Hair-Drying

These go hand-in-hand, am I right??

Well, my answer is YES!!

I have struggled all of my married life to be a consistent scripture reader.. Of the personal study-type. We have always done a pretty good job as a family, and it is nearly impossible to compare myself with Davy and his consistent, in-depth, detailed, diligent scripture study. {really, he's amazing}

To tell a little back-story, when I was younger {I'm guessing 12ish?} our ward had a scripture-reading program, where each ward member would receive a certificate for 30-, 60-, 90-, 6 month, and 1 year scripture reading - with NO misses. Our family took on this challenge. I think somewhere between the 90-day and 6 month mark my parents may have missed a day, but my sister and I kept going. We each received the 1 year certificate. We kept on going. It became quite a feat. I remember once, we were spending the night at my Grandma Ruth's, and my mom called at about midnight {on the ONE phone in the house} and remembered we had forgotten to read that night. WHEW!! She saved us from a miss!! I may be mistaken in my remembering, but I'm pretty sure my sister and I went 6 YEARS without missing a day. Pretty incredible, I'd say! Unfortunately, I think once we missed, we just kept on missing.

Fast forward to my whole marriage. As I stated before, my husband is a diligent scriptorian. I have been his cheerleader. I have always been impressed with his example. I guess being impressed was as far as I would go. I wanted to do my personal scripture study. I just didn't want to do anything about it.

Skip ahead to about April 2009. I was incredibly morning-sick. I could hardly make myself stand up. In desperation, I moved a folding chair into my bathroom so I could sit while I dried my hair. Somehow this evolved into my using the scriptures on my iPhone to read while I was drying my hair. VOILA! Somehow, this.. THIS was the key!

Now, I'm not saying I haven't missed a day. I have, for sure, but for the most part, I am a very consistent reader now! I'm not sure what it is.. uninterrupted time to myself? the white-noise blocking out other distractions? being stuck in one spot for that 10-15 minutes? I'm going to have to answer, D: All of the above. In addition, it feels weird, even wrong, if I'm NOT reading my scriptures while that hair dryer is on...

{and can I say - I'm retaining, and even enjoying The Book of Mormon? It doesn't even feel like a chore!}

6 comments:

Elder Jack Anderson said...

Love this!! I have always struggled as well. I stink at it!! I may try and adopt this method. Ugh.

Also, did you sign up for the M:TAV class online? I never told you about cross-references!

marcikay said...

Srsly.. It works sooooo well for me.. I actually look forward to it!!

NO!! I didn't sign up, but I should have.. I wanted to ask you about it.. Now, too late.. ::dangit::

Silvey Mothership said...

way to go Marci! It just goes to show we can still learn and accomplish new things or revisit old ones even as a married woman!

Meredith said...

Wow! Thanks for the recap on my childhood! Of course I don't remember that we read consistently that long!

It's good to hear that you have found something that works like that!

the Browns said...

We remember this well, especially calling you that night at Grandma Ruth's. The scripture study program was called "The Big Stepper Program".

mysite said...

Nice Post!
I would like to know more about your blog. You may also visit my blog and tell me what you think.