09 January 2009

Davy.. a boy and his teeth..

*see edit below*
For anyone who has been keeping track, you may know Davy went to the dentist this week.. for the first time since his pre-mission check.. (circa February 1986) egad.. One of the things they didn't take care of before he left? Wisdom teeth.. What is that? Isn't that a sign of a young man close to heading out in the field? Getting those out? Maybe its just me.. Anyhoo.. He has been super nervous.. Luckily, we have an incredibly nice dentist, and Chelsea frequently reminds Davy that our dentist is hott.. I think that really helped..

So, after Tuesday's x-rays and cleaning, he was referred to a dental surgeon, 1. to pull a tooth he broke in half a couple months ago and 2. a consult on his wisdom teeth..

Today was the appointment.. I've been trying to talk Davy out of being put under just to pull a tooth.. He was putting on his brave face, but would get pale and nauseous whenever this conversation started.. (he claims to have this high threshold of pain, but when it comes to dentist stuff, he's 6 again.. when I'd try to tell him it wasn't that bad, he'd say "You're tough! You've pushed babies out of your vagina!" Ah, doesn't he have a way with words..) so, as we're driving over he asks if they decide to take his wisdom teeth out too, could he be put under.. 2 feelings.. 1. Am I the mean nazi wife that he thinks wouldn't let him be put out for wisdom teeth? ::sad:: and 2. If they take your wisdom teeth? Where did this come from? Not at all expecting him to get his wisdom teeth out! How does he not tell me this? (I'm sure his mom and sister are not surprised to hear this at all.. He tends to forget to tell me important things..)

So to make my long story longer.. They pulled his broken tooth, removed 3 impacted wisdom teeth, (the 4th is laying sideways on the nerves, so they're leaving it alone) and pulled another impacted molar (and somewhere in there he got a bone graft).. As the doctor said, "We put him through the ringer.. but he put us through the ringer, too!"
Needless to say.. He's a mess! He has to be on a soft diet for at least a week.. I will be curious how long it takes him to get back to somewhat normal.. Poor baby.. 

Just for the record.. The girls in this family go to the dentist regularly (even if they procrastinated a dental implant.. they still go)

And.. little girls home from school AGAIN today.. ::sigh::

Edit: k, so Davy heard that there was a picture of him on the blog, and came in to see.. wasn't exactly pleased :) but he did have me laughing so hard, and one point calling me Kit Kittredge: American Girl (we didn't even see that movie) and then he topped it off by telling me he looked like the pictures of when they killed Saddam Hussien's sons.. 

11 comments:

Curt, Lace and Harper said...

That is the saddest picture. I hope he starts feeling better and doesn't drive you too crazy. Men are such babies when it comes to stuff like that. Good Luck :)!

Elder Jack Anderson said...

Oh, I hope the chefs at work can prepare him some "soft diet" foods for a while!

That picture is awful.... and I'm cringing because I haven't had my wisdom teeth out yet either. I mean, is it really necessary?? Will I die if I don't get them out? Cuz I don't want a picture of me on my blog looking like that... ever. I'm totally worried now, and I've pushed babies out of my vagina too!

Bryan and Elissa Johnson said...

Okay. I love the picture. you are so mean. I can't believe yu put it on. But also so sad. He looks miserable. hopefully he feels better soon.

marcikay said...

Ya.. Davy just learned that there's a picture of him on here.. he wasn't exactly pleased.. :)

Elder Jack Anderson said...

I just showed Garret this post and he is loving it. He especially liked the Saddam Hussein comment!!

marcikay said...

i am glad he is loving it.. I'm not so sure Davy is.. :) he was all - would you want a picture like this of you? (and all I can think of is your comment..) I almost took it off, feeling bad.. but I'm over that, and glad its on.. for posterity, right?

Crazy Mommy said...

What a boy won't do for a little anesthesia...

Bonnie B. said...

oowwwwwwech!!!!! If this is what I had to look forward to, I would have waited several years, too. Hope he feels better soon.

Casseron said...

Hey, just figured I'd let you know that when you can only eat soft food mac n' cheese is I good thing, you don't have to chew it!

Casseron said...

Oh sorry, ps this is Cassidy, Debbie Tudor's daughter. I don't mean to be stalker-ish but, most people don't know about the macaroni and cheese trick!

Melissa Miller said...

I am laughing so hard...I can't imagine Dave saying "vagina"!!!!